Without life-saving medications and treatment, a right to life or liberty has no meaning and pursuit of happiness becomes impossible. As a product, health care responds poorly to market forces, and our state government must step in to expand the provider network and ensure universal access to care.
Virginia’s General Assembly can protect this right in a variety of ways:
- Further, expand Medicaid eligibility by raising the maximum income threshold.
- Improve ACA coverage with a state-level exchange.
- Establish and fund more primary care residency positions in Virginia hospitals.
- Reform and streamline the Certificates of Public Need process.
- Expand support for Community Health Centers.
Our right to “Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness” includes a right to medical care without regard to ability to pay. Real access to health care – not just health insurance – is a human right.